Thursday, July 20, 2006

Supremely suspicious

So I got utterly trashed, half-well laid and woke up this morning when the secretary at work phoned at 9.30 to find out where I was. This morning was spent miserably hungover and still a bit drunk.

Macdonalds to the rescue, complimented by a grueling interrogation which got my brain functioning again: A Muslim guy at work let me grill him on Lebanon, Islam and terrorism. Quite gracious of him considering everything he said just confirmed my atheism to me more and more.

He was sympathetic with the suicide bombers, but not anti-Jews, although he felt the reaction to Lebanon was uncalled for. He’s quite smart and level-headed, and mostly on these aspects I found myself agreeing with him. And he did agree that Christianity, Islam and Judaism all worship the same god and that the three religions should be able to live peacefully together, there is nothing in principle that is different – just the “execution” of their faith.

But man! What he told me about Islam, it was like he was listing all the reasons why any religion was bollocks as exactly why he believed in it. Apparently the Koran acknowledges and credits the Bible and the Torah, says they were true but misrepresented by the people and that the Koran is the final word of god. Yet, he can’t see that then there will be fourth beta version from god. Nor that on this argument, if god is all knowing and seeing, how could he fuck up – then he’s not a supreme being.

The clincher though, was: “How do you explain untimely death – people dying young – without religion?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home