Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Media and health

Ooh. I went to my first media launch yesterday. What a hose!

It was just some shopping centre they’re building, with all the top dogs of the company sitting there with big fluffy microphones as though it was earth shattering news. All the photographers were flashing away as though they were strutting down some red ramp – and today, in the newspaper, after all those pictures, they still had a terrible photo with one guy’s hand covering his face.

The Arabic press seem far more tenacious than the English press, who sat politely highlighting their press releases. The Arabic press, from what I could pick up from their occasional emphatic English exclamations, grilled and cross-examined each figure. Also interesting how similar Arabic looks to short hand when on a reporter’s notepad.

Also went for a health checkup to get my work permit. This required an eye test, a blood pressure test, a chest X-Ray and showing my breasts to a female doctor who was allegedly checking my heart rate. No Aids test, even though the form said it required one.

Thankfully the driver accompanied me, otherwise I’d have been completely lost. We’re still struggling to communicate with his broken English and my non-existent Arabic. But it was simple: He walked me through told me “sit” or “stand” or “go” and did all the negotiation for me. I wondered if this is what a Muslim woman feels like!

Watched Lars von Trier’s newest, Epidemic, last night. It’s poetic and actually reminded my of Peter Greenway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home